Madison Bumgarner, the steadiest pitcher in the San Francisco Giants' rotation so far this season, finally had an off night and it was a doozy.Bumgarner botched a potential double play with an errant throw and gave up the first grand slam of his big league career in San Francisco's 10-9 loss to the Colorado Rockies on Friday night.The Giants had a season-high four errors in losing to ...
Teams from the Metro East had to travel farther than the other schools at the Class 3A Rock Island boys track Sectional on Friday in the Quad ...
WASHINGTON - The ousted head of the U.S. tax agency apologized to Congress for his agency's tougher treatment of conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status, including during last year's presidential election, saying it resulted from a misguided effort to handle a flood of applications, not political bias. Lawmakers from both parties harshly criticized the Internal Revenue Service ...
Everything's a go for Orb.The Kentucky Derby winner was in a playful mood Friday, making faces for photographers between nibbles of grass outside his stall at Pimlico Race Course."He's really settled in well. He seems to be energetic about what he's doing so I couldn't be more pleased," trainer Shug McGaughey said Friday morning. "We're excited about ...
Maybe someday, a gigantic payday for Devon Alexander awaits if he were to get boxing's holy grail, a fight with Floyd Mayweather. But first, there are other fights, like his defense of his IBF welterweight title against Lee Purdy of England today in Atlantic City, N.J., which will air on Showtime.Even Mayweather has mentioned the young St. Louis boxer as a potential opponent down the line. ...
68.5°F Partly Cloudy
Three Colors: White (Trois couleurs: Blanc) [Blu-Ray]
Krzysztof Kielowskis Three Colors: White is, by any stretch of the imagination, an odd seriocomic film. The middle part of Kielowskis Three Colors trilogy, it stands apart from the other films (which are otherwise tightly interconnected in theme and tone) by vi ... ...
CHICAGO o As it turned out, Tony Mitchell's college detour didn't cause irreparable harm to his future.The former Mizzou recruit, who never was able to gain entrance, is projected as a first-round pick in next month's NBA draft and said after his workout at the pre-draft combine that he's hoping to go as high as No. 20.Two seasons at North Texas were far from perfect, but the ...
When Takuma Sato strolls into his garage at Indianapolis, he gets a quick glimpse into the two distinct paths that have defined these past 12 months.There's the wall that features front pages from two Japanese newspapers with his arms raised in victory. Back home, he's a national hero.A few feet away, on another wall, is a poster of team owner A.J. Foyt wearing an Indianapolis 500 ...
Tracy Laufer, 52, (left) and his father, Bud Laufer, 78, of Sunset Hills, talk about wow they would spend their Powerball winnings. (Video by Joel Currier / ...
Adam LaRoche hit two towering home runs and Chad Tracy's solo shot in the 10th inning lifted the Washington Nationals to a 6-5 victory over the San Diego Padres on Friday ...
ARLINGTON, Texas — With a little help from slugger Miguel Cabrera, Rick Porcello and the Detroit Tigers slowed down the Texas Rangers. Cabrera went 3 for 4 with a go-ahead double in the fifth inning to back Porcello and lift the Tigers over the Rangers 2-1 Friday night in a matchup of division leaders. Texas had scored 51 runs in its past eight games, going 7-1 in that stretch. Porcello ...
Reported in the press
He is the most evil, vile, demonic criminal. He is dead to me. There will be no visits, there will be no phone calls. He can never be Daddy again. I have no sympathy for the man.
Gregg was speaking about her father Ariel Castro who allegedly kidnapped, raped and held captive for a decade, three young women in Cleveland, Ohio.
Le Meridien Noumea, New Caledonia
This deluxe hotel is reputedly the finest in New Caledonia. The drive from Tontouta international airport is 45 minutes and ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who is 84, is being retried in Cairo. Do you believe this is a good thing?
St Louis StarSt Louis Star | Breaking St Louis News & General News
The St Louis Star is essentially a local St Louis newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for St Louis, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of St Louis, Missouri, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the St Louis Star.
University of Missouri researchers have found that simvastatin, a generic type of statin previously sold under the brand name "Zocor," hindered the positive effects of exercise for obese and overweight adults.
Statins, the most widely prescribed drugs worldwide, are often suggested to lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease in individuals with obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome, which is a combination of medical disorders including excess body fat and/or high levels of blood pressure, blood sugar and/or cholesterol.
"Daily physical activity is needed to maintain or improve fitness, and thus improve health outcomes. However, if patients start exercising and taking statins at the same time, it seems that statins block the ability of exercise to improve their fitness levels," said John Thyfault, an associate professor of nutrition and exercise physiology at MU.
Thyfault said that many cardiologists want to prescribe statins to all patients over a certain age regardless of whether they have metabolic syndrome; the drugs also are recommended for people with Type 2 diabetes. He recommends that cardiologists more closely weigh the benefits and risks of statins given this new data about their effect on exercise training. ...
- Multi-million dollar cigarette smuggling ring with terror links busted
- US president calls for more embassy security funding
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev scribbled note in boat as munhunt was on
- America Ferrera graduates 10 years after starting college
- 60 hurt as US trains collide New York-Boston corridor closed
- Dow S and P set record highs log 4-week winning streak
- China to issue 20 billion in 50-year T-bonds
- Open thread for night owls Stephen Lerner on breaking Wall Streets grip
- Reasons Remain for Fed to Keep Easy-Money Policies Fueling Equities
- Wall St Week Ahead Correction talk gets old as rally sails along
- Proposal for second US LNG export terminal gets nod
- Nippon Airways reports minor incident on modified Dreamliner
- Bangladesh garment factories reopen within days of shutdown
- Share of developing nations in investments set to triple by 2030
- Ocado enters sale and lease back deal with Morrisons for Dordon facility
- Microsoft warns about rise in computer viruses worldwide
- Stocks surge higher on positive news about US economy
- IRS And 501 Damned If They Do Damned If They Dont
- Dirty Dozen The 12 Worst Mutual Funds
- US dollar closes higher on Taipei forex to end days trade at NT$30.060
- Indian American Vivek Ranadive buys US basketball team
- Elena Ambrosiadou wins legal battle with ex-husband Martin Coward over software They might be rich – but judge
- Nintendos software problem for the Wii U just went from bad to worse
- Deal reached for Sacramento Kings sale
- Airbus Boeing will battle for PR at Paris Air Show
- Thioridazine works by weakening staphylococcal cell wall new study reveals
- Newer class of diabetes medications may also improve cardiovascular health researchers report
- JJs DePuy to End Two Hip Replacement Systems
- Violence in South Sudan Town Shuts Down Hospital
- Men sentenced in toxic teething medicine case
- Beyonce fears daughter will hate her voice
- Test songs on children says Halliwell
- Beyonce defies docs orders to perform in Belgium
- Music on TV Whats THAT song
- Sue McLean Twin Cities concert promoter dies of cancer at 63
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest St Louis Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Mistakes cost Giants in 10-9 loss to Rockies
- Illinois Class 3A sectionals
- Investigator Top US Treasury officials told of tax probe in June of campaign year 2012
- Orb is on center stage at the Preakness
- Alexander defends welterweight title in Atlantic City